Friday, May 22, 2009

Godly lessons for from my kids - Introduction



Coming up on my blog: I have a series of related thoughts but I'm not sure how long it will take me to get them all blogged out and I may not do it in consecutive "parts". What I've decided to do is introduce the concept and being with what I'm going to call #1 (coming very soon, later today!) and we'll see when/if/how long it takes us to get to #2, etc. Okay? Okay!


Being a parent is such an interesting endeavor. We are instructed to "train a child up in the way he should go" (Proverbs 22:4) and "bring them (children) up in the training and instruction of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:5). One of my very FAVORITE passages regarding children and teaching them the ways of the Lord is in Deuteronomy. "Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." (Deuteronomy 11:19) Which would lead a person to believe that the ADULT teaches the child about God, right? Yeah, I know, I was that foolish and naive when I started parenting too!


I am not the first person to come up with this concept but truthfully, I learn SO much more from my kids. I SEE illustrations of how Jesus works in our lives. In the way I love my children, I am given mere glimpses of how much God must love me. I could go on and on.
My point is, I regularly RECEIVE Godly lessons FROM my kids. And I'm going to start sharing some of them here as I feel led to. Aren't you, my five faithful readers, blessed? (hee hee) (Oh, side note: someday I MAY actually start claiming fifteen faithful readers.. wouldn't that be something?)
For more on the concept of "learning" Godly truths from our children, I recommend Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls by Gary Thomas.

2 comments:

KatScarlett said...

I look forward to reading these Kathryn. I agree with you, I have learned so much from my children... and honestly from Ben even more so. I can't wait to read what you have learned and how you chose to share it.

HolliLynn said...

I can't wait to read more about your Godly lessons. I love your blog!